Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Ripping Through the Red Tape

The last few weeks, I have personally been in communication with the Commissariat for Refugees of the Republic of Serbia in hopes of being granted access into the Krnjača Asylum Centre.


As a minor, who is still technically in high school, I have had a lot of people doubt my sincerity in terms of this project. Yet, when I speak to them about my senior project and my future career plans, they all ultimately note my determination. That realization was thankfully not lost on the Commissioner for Refugees and Migrants, Vladimir Cucić.

Commissioner Vladimir Cucić
When I first visited the Aslyum Centre Krnjača, I was denied entrance. I suppose they just expected me to leave after they told me I couldn't go in, but I kept 'prying' (so to speak) until they gave me the contact information of the people who could grant me ingress to the camp.

My security was required to provide evidence of being a member of the Ministry of Defense, which the man on the phone was verifying.
Ultimately, after nearly an hour, they provided me with an email. When I contacted that email, it turned out to be their communications director. I explained to her that I didn't simply want a statement in regards to the centre, I wanted to physically go in and see it for myself. In response she provided me with the phone number of the next person I should contact.

This passing of the torch continued until they understood I was earnest in my pursuit, and at long last presented me with the contact information of the coordinator within the Commissariat that oversaw relations with the media. Igor Miladinovic and I spoke at length about my intentions, methodology, and desired outcome regarding the inclusion of this visit to the entirety of my project.

When he finally felt satisfied with our conservation(s), he obtained the Commissioner's approval and granted me admission to the Krnjača Asylum Centre.

While waiting, I spoke to some of the people for a few minutes as they were coming out of the camp. 
In my coming posts, I look forward to showcasing the remarkable investments made by the Serbian government (via the Commissariat) and multiple independent organizations from Serbia, and abroad, in an effort to provide the best possible care to the families, youths, and unattended children living under these circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment