Friday, March 10, 2017

Could You Spare an Apple?


The first time I visited the derelict warehouses I was in shock, to say the least. When I went home, later that night, I had no appetite. It didn't feel right to me that I could offer my sympathies and company for a few hours, then just walk away to the comforts of my warm blankets, buzzing radiators, and unwavering refrigerator.

For most of us, food is an unquestionable reality. If we are hungry, we will eat; and in that regard, we are far luckier than we will ever come to appreciate.

The boys who spend their days and nights under the harsh roofs of the Belgrade warehouses, are not so fortunate. They consider themselves lucky if they have more than one meal a day. That one meal tends to be hot soup distributed by Hot Food Idomeni, an NGO that began by aiding refugees in Northern Greece.

When I reached out to HFI for comment on how they handle the distribution process, a representative stressed their commitment to approaching refugees with humour and dignity. All while fostering trust and maintaining high quality at understandably high quantities.

I wanted to do my part as well, by providing more than just questions and curiosity. So I collected over 5,000 Serbian dinars (roughly around 50 dollars) and purchased 6 bags worth of food. From rice and lentils to biscuits and bread to salt and sugar, and much more. As Ahmed helped me distribute the contents, the resident refugees began to collect around us in a line.


There was no pushing or shoving to reach food before someone else. The level of respect within those walls never ceases to mesmerize me. Young men came in line to collect anything willing to be given to them, then they would return to the various fires created within the building and share what they have with those who had remained seated.

Furthermore, I always felt safe and even respected amongst them. Every single person in those buildings made sure to keep a "respectable distance", as my military companion phrased it. There was one instance when he walked outside to answer a phone call, and the men around me took a step back, almost in unison, while I left alone with them. We continued talking, the same conversation as with my chaperone, always keeping and maintaining eye contact. 


Above everything we had brought, two items were the most important to them, and the most cherished. Sanitary hand wipes and apples.


Even with my limited knowledge of Arabic, I understood the deep gratitude behind the simple repetition of "Shukran" (English: thank you) as I handed them each an apple. Some simply wiped the apples across their shirts, as though polishing them, before devouring the fruit in a matter of seconds. Others cradled their apples, and stashed them in various places, typically around their sleeping quarters, for later.

One man ripped open the small package of hand wipes before it had even completely left my hand. He began ferociously scrubbing his palms, desperate to sanitize them. Then, he walked back to his blankets on the floor, still cleansing his hands with such force I feared he would rub them raw.

With everything in our bags distributed, Ahmed walked with me through the warehouse again. A group of boys were boiling water for the rice we had given them and extended me a torn off piece of the loaf of bread I handed one of them earlier, asking me to join them in broken English. 


This is the second time I was invited to share a meal in the warehouses. These resilient people had so little for themselves, yet saw everything as shareable.

So I responded with an Arabic phrase I had learned just the night before: "Bil-hanā' wa ash-shifā'"

May you have your meal with gladness and health.

6 comments:

  1. Your posts and your project continue to amaze me! How beautiful it is that even through hardship these people remain so amiable and kind. Will you continue visiting the warehouses through to the end of the project? I'm also curious to see the final product of your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be able to visit the warehouses again before the end of my project, but I have been trying to see the circumstances by which other refugees are living as well. There are mostly independent young men at the warehouses and I hope to be able to show the lives of families, children, and women who are also traveling alone. Ultimately, I wish for my final project to be able to reflect the individuality and courage I have witnessed first hand.

      Delete
  2. I have to applaud you for the manner in which you communicate your project, it is as if you transform the information regarding your assignment into a story that makes the blog so much more interesting and fathomable. I also adore your topic and your audacity (I mean I perceive you as such because you are actually active and meeting with those who are the subjects of your topic). Overall, continue with the great blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David! You have managed to precisely verbalize that which I am attempting to accomplish here. All I hope for in these, and my upcoming posts, is to make any readers understand that this 'crisis' is not a macro-scaled theoretical occurrence, but rather something that is happening to individual people, and could in fact happen to anyone in any part of the world.

      Delete
  3. The pictures add a lot to your post. How accurate are they in terms of showing population density? Are these warehouses crowded?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are three warehouses, and at night they are packed with thousands of refugees. I have been very careful with the photographs I include so that I respect the wishes of those who do not want to have their photograph shared for various reasons. During the day, a lot of the residents from the warehouses scatter throughout Belgrade. Many of them tend to travel to the Hungarian border during the weekend in hopes of finding a way through/past the fence(s), soldiers, and dogs that the Hungarian side has placed there. Last year, the UNHCR announced that roughly 2,500 refugees entered Serbian every day, and at least half would spent 2-3 nights at the warehouses. So to say that these warehouses are 'crowded' would even be an understatement...

      Delete