Saturday, February 25, 2017

Let's Talk About Life

My security from the Ministry finally got approval to accompany me to one of the warehouses that has been continuously mentioned in the foreign press with regard to refugees in Belgrade.

This week has been memorable and emotional, to say the least. I feel so much at once, yet when confronted with the need to verbalize it all, I am stunned speechless.

The photos speak for themselves...

The building is located behind the Belgrade's main bus station.
One of the many graffiti covered walls on one of the buildings.
There was graffiti with Arabic and Latin letters.
As I was taking pictures of the outside, a group of young men invited us into the building.
The roof is pierced with holes that do little to protect from the elements. It rained later that same day.
A man was taking his turn washing his face with the communal multi-purpose water.
Another man shaves his face near a makeshift fire of wood they collected from around the city.
A young boy stands beside the fire where he is making lunch/dinner for everyone.
 When I asked him what was inside the bowl, with a smile he replied, "Water and rice."
That was going to serve as lunch and dinner for everyone in the warehouse that day.
I had intended to stay for only a hour or two, max. Yet, I spent close to six hours speaking with the people, as they showed me their living quarters and attempted to verbalize their experiences. It was getting dark by the time I left and the ambient was quickly becoming eerie due to the accumulating smog from numerous fires as the temperature began to drop.

Not one person that I met was rude, unwelcoming, or in any way abrasive. Everyone approached me with a smile on their face and even invited me to share what little dinner they had!


In the coming posts I look forward to sharing with all of you some of the astounding stories that I have gotten a chance to hear and experience.

My security's face has been blurred to conceal his identity due to his active duty status.

2 comments:

  1. An astute title for this blog, Nina. Looking forward to hearing the stories you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete