Monday, April 17, 2017

The Perspective of the Public


Since the Serbian presidential election on April 2nd, student-run protests in almost every major city have become a daily norm. During one such protest, I spoke to some participants who carried signs specifically expressing their dissatisfaction with the vague information when it comes to the proposed migrant and refugee policies of newly-elected President (and former Prime Minister) Aleksandar Vučić.

Here are two stand-out excerpts of the responses I received:

"I came to Serbia as a refugee from Croatia when I was a young girl. I have many different feelings about the experiences that my family and I went through. For that reason, I have wanted to find a way to be involved with this new wave of refugees, and help them in any way I can. Firstly, I helped in small parts at the Miksalište camp, but I wasn’t very confident in my approach to the migrants, because I had never seen a situation like that. I don’t remember much about my journey as a kid, so it was all very overwhelming! I wanted to approach them in a very friendly manner, but I didn’t want them to think it was pity. Then I met a man from Afghanistan and started talking to him; he was open and willing for a conversation, with a positive attitude. He looked like felt safe and calm in the camp, and he told me he was comfortable there. He was glad because the people working in the camp are empathetic and willing to help. When he told me about the horrible treatment he received in Bulgaria, specifically, and how the treatment shifted the moment he arrived in Serbia, I felt proud to call myself Serbian. He gave me his Facebook contact, so we are still in touch. He is now in Düsseldorf, Germany, settled down and has been readily seeking employment since he arrived. I am aware that not everyone is as resilient as he is, but talking to him and some of the other residents really made me more optimistic. We all need more compassion, we need to be more open, with our borders and our thoughts, because talking about the realities of what is going on in our world is the only way to change any of it. That is why I am protesting. I don’t think that Vučić understands what open dialogue really means, nor does he care about the thousands of refugees in Serbia alone, who do not know what to do next.” 
- Irena Marić (masters student, Academy of Arts, Novi Sad)

"The main reason why I wanted to take part in these protests and in the refugee cause, was to support the women and children who flee as refugees, because I see them as the direct and biggest victims of a system of values and politics dominated by men and their inclination to wars. I must say I was a bit disappointed when we ran into almost no women and children in the refugee parks, but only to later be relieved with that fact, because it meant that the majority of them found a better route of traveling, avoiding Bulgaria and going through safer places than the people we talked to in the parks. If people who lost everything, and have no certain future, not even a certain idea of survival can stay positive and happy out of gratefulness that they still have a bare life — a reason enough to smile, believe and stay positive, where do people in general, coming from ordinary, safe conditions, find a nerve to be grumpy and dissatisfied with life? When did so many of us forget what is really important and that without respect and gratefulness there is no genuine happiness? I feel blessed for the opportunity to meet so many different people in these demonstrations as well, I have been participating since the first day of protests following the election and each day I am surrounded by different faces!”
- Milenka Dinkić (student of sculpture, Faculty of Fine Arts, Belgrade)

No comments:

Post a Comment